Lots and Lots of Bear Hugs

Saturday, November 6, 2010

"The Lost Art of True Beauty"

The Lost Art of True Beauty is a book I'm reading by Leslie Ludy. In it talks about having a true beauty that does not reflect off of yourself but rather on the glory of Jesus.

This week I have learned so many things and God has revealed so much to me. At times it's overwhelming. Here's a general list of things that I am willing to share. There's so much more I could say, but most of it I rather not say outloud on such a virtual world like the internet.

1. It's not about me
Shocking isn't it? So many times-usually without consciously realizing it-I (we) get stuck in this world where it's all about us. "I want this" and "I want that". We act like little spoiled kids who havn't yet been taught the art of being selfless. Instead of worrying about us we should worry about those around us and how we are treating them. Instead of thinking all the time about what I can do for 'me' I should think about what I can do for others to improve their days and perhaps put a smile on their faces.

2. It's about Jesus
Truth in itself. It's all about Jesus. Our focus should remain soley on him and him alone. Instead of doing things to glorify ourselves, our actions should be so glorifying that who we see behind those good deeds is not people but rather Jesus. Let your light shine. It means to let His light shine, not our own. Our own light is dim and bare and dull and lifeless. His light is glourious and beautiful and majestic and pure. When it's dark and I need a flashlight in order to find something, I don't want something that's dim and I can barely see with. I want something that's bright and shining and lights up the general area that I'm seeking. That's the kind of light we should have shine through us: a light that focuses on Jesus as

3. Jesus is a better author than I am.
I often find myself trying to be the author of my story despite that I don't want to. I try to take control of situations and let my own thoughts and opinions and actions lead, instead of His. But I don't want to be the author. I'm a terrible author who can't even write in straight, neat letters! Why should I be in control of my own story when I can barely control my thoughts, feelings, and actions? Yet I often take up the pen, push Jesus aside and say "Move over and let me do some editing." And what I edit is all wrong...all wrong. I don't want to be the publisher, I don't want to be the co-author. Gosh I don't even want to be the editor! I just want Him to write my life...Him to write my story and Him to take up the pen and jot down His plans and goals for my life.

4. I need to pray more for others.
I catch myself so many times saying "Dear Jesus, please help me get this, or help me get that". I know it's not a bad thing to pray for yourself, but when your prayers become consumed completely with you it takes away all the beauties in life and all the blessings He has given us. Instead of being grateful for what I have I find myself wanting more and more and more and more...So I'm trying now to pray for others whenever I also pray for myself. And even to just pray for others completely whenever I catch myself saying "I want" to Jesus. Sometimes you just need to let go and hold back on those "I wants". God know's the desires of our heart. He know's what we want even before we ask for it. A simple "Lord, you know" will suffice. That's what I need to do more often.


We need to be selfless and Christ-like. Not once did Jesus ask for something for Himself. Not once did He take the pen and start writing His life. Instead He said to His Father "not mine will but thine will be done". I want to do this more often. Instead of seeking my own will, I want to seek His will above my own.

I said way more than I had originally intended too. So whether you read this long message or not doesn't really matter. But if you did read it hopefully it will encourage you to become more selfless and Christ-like.


Love,
Becca =) <3

No comments:

Post a Comment