Lots and Lots of Bear Hugs

Monday, November 8, 2010

A Change of Seasons: a poem

A Change of Seasons.

Can you see the bright green leaves
Amidst the orange and red?
Can you see the dark brown trees
Amongst the leaf-like beds?

And can you see the flowers bloom
And the newborn babies cry?
I can’t see a single thing;
I’m starting to wonder why.

Can you see the bright blue sky
Amidst the stormy clouds?
Can you hear the peacefulness
Amongst the thunder: so loud?

And can you see the dribbles of rain
Pouring softly down to the earth?
I can’t see a single thing;
For the sky is full of mirth.

It’s odd to see the leaves fall off
The once beautiful green trees.
It’s odd to see the flowers drop
From the bushes and the eaves.

And it’s odd to hear the logs crackle
Inside the old brick fireplace.
These sounds are foreign, weird, unnatural.
I wish that they would just go away.

The days are shorter, darker, drearier.
The nights are longer, stiller, wearier.
And the weather is cold and bold and old.
I don’t think I like it-but some do, so I’m told.

But how could one like the stormy skies?
And the raindrops hitting the earth?
But how could one like the leaves changing colors?
And the snow tearing up the turf?

How could one possibly like
All this change taking place?
It puzzles me…deeply so.
I feel that the change is a waste.

Yet as I see the yards around me
Full of different colors: red, orange and brown.
And as I see the people the around me
Bundled in coats heaped up in mounds.

And as I see and feel the weather
Creeping and chilling my hands.
I think I kinda like something different altogether
It’s kinda like a riot; like a rant.

It’s as if the world is protesting against
Having the same sort of seasons everyday.
It’s saying “I want something new, different, a bit foreign.
Don’t mind me and what I do or say.”

So I suppose I don’t mind the slight change in temperature
Or the slight change in what I have to wear.
I suppose I don’t mind getting bundled up differently
Or the warm fellowship that I have to share,

With those around me as we struggle to understand
The different changes that are happening in this land
God made seasons for a definite reason.
So I’m sure it’s best that I don’t claim it as “treason!”

So can you see the copper sky
Against the backdrop blue?
And can you see the mountains so high
Dotted with colors of every hue?

And can you hear the dripping rain
Amongst the beautiful sounds?
Of thunder and lightning and streaks of hail;
It’s just making its annual rounds.

I can.

Love,
Becca =) <3

No comments:

Post a Comment