
I remember when I was little and I would sit in the office with my dad. He would sit at his big metal desk with all his papers, taxes, pictures, and all that other "daddy work", while I would sit at my own little tiny desk with my specialized computer that had my absolute favorite game on it: a coloring page! I would watch my dad write and I would try to copy him. He always used to write in cursive and then slide his hand to start the next word, so I will copy this by scribbleing in "cursive" (a four year olds view of cursive) and then slide my hand across the paper leaving big gaps between each of my scribbles. Then once I was done with my letter I would sign my signature (a bunch of scribbles) at the bottom of the page. Then Id get an envelope and write the address (in scribbles) and seal the paper inside. Such a fond memory <3 I found some of my old "letters" and can still remember the awe I felt at watching my dad write. It was an amazing thing to a little four year old.
So I made a poem on Childhood Memories in honor of...well...childhood memories :P
When I Was a Child
When I was a child
not so long ago
I remembered the first time
that it snowed.
It wasn't very deep,
and wasn't very cold
But I still squealed and peeped
in joy at the snow.
When I was a child
I remember going to dance
with my mom at her lessons
I would watch her prance
And glide with the others
as they all tapped away
sliding on metal slippers
those were the days.
When I was a child
I used to play bears
I was Baby Bear
and mama was Mama Bear.
Mama Bear always kept order
and taught Baby Bear many things.
They'd eat their porridge nicely
and never be mean.
When I was a child
I liked to play music
Id watch my mom play piano
then id bang on the keys.
She'd write her own songs
and sing to them herself
Id listen or sing along
Her voice rich with melodic wealth.
When I was a child
I pulled my dogs tail
(and she bit my hand...)
For a while id turn pale
Whenever I was near her.
I was afraid of watch she'd do.
But in the end she forgave me.
I guess I forgave her too.
When I was a child
I had a few dolls
and a gazillion stuffed animals
but definitely no trolls.
Id make them have different voices
and they'd go on adventures together.
They were my family to me,
my "sisters" and my "brothers".
When I was a child
I used to go to bed at eight
So I asked if when I was nine I could go to bed at nine
Didn't realize that was still not very late.
When I was a child
I had curly blonde hair
and eyes the color of turquoise
And skin quite fair.
I wasn't very tall
but I wasn't very small.
Average height I suppose.
With a little button nose :)
When I was a child
I did to many things to count
some good, some bad
some to make you smile or frown.
But all in all I had a great father
and a beautiful, wonderful mother too.
They'd always give me hugs.
And they would say "I love you."
When I was a child...
not so very long ago.
I experienced much sorrow,
but lots of joy also.
And when I was a child...
I accepted Jesus Christ
and ever since then
he has been the author of my life.
And I still am a child.
Not quite as young as before
but still am a child
just smarter, and taller of course.
But I still view myself as young
and know I have a long ways till I'm old
Because I still am a child...
A child of God.
And life will always be amazing to me
on how fast time seems to fly
and I used to think time went slow
and that life was always soaring high.
When I was a child...
I talked like a child.
I acted like a child.
And I still am a child.
And when I look back
when I'm eighty or so
I'll think to myself
"Well, here we go."
I'll remember each memory
the good and the bad
the sorrow and friendship
and the ones that made me sad.
But what I'll remember the most
is the friend I made along the way
they are my most fond memories
and I am grateful each and every day.
And then I will look back at these memories
and know they are never far apart
because I'll always be a little child
At least in my heart.
When I was a child...
--Becca :)
No comments:
Post a Comment