Lots and Lots of Bear Hugs

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ponderings on Love (1 Corinthians 13)

God has taught me a lot about love the past few years through individuals, circumstances and His Word. He has taught me that love is not something deserved, but it is something we should show. He has taught me that by showing love we are giving something of ourselves and allowing us to become vulnerable, but not necessarily just vulnerable to humans, but also vulnerable to the love itself. And he has taught me that there are different types of love to give.

  • John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
To begin, we see just what the greatest form of love is: to give up one's life for one's friends. This is what Jesus did for us, he gave up his life. Similarly, God gave up his only son (and in the same way, because Jesus and God are the same He also gave up himself). This is unconditional love, the type that will shove someone away from a speeding car and not even think about the consequences, like the fact that they will end up being the one hit. I think we should show this type of love toward everyone; unconditional with no if's ands or buts. Now, mind you, I don't mean we should go around feeling overjoyed when a murderer kills an innocent child or when our enemies threaten our country. However, I do believe that mercy is a word that should be in love's vocabulary. By mercy I mean forgiveness, humbleness. What did Jesus say to the thief on the cross? "Today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 22:43). This also doesn't mean that righteous anger is not called for at times, but along with righteous anger we should keep in mind that we are all humans, "all like sheep who have gone astray" (Isaiah 53:6), as well as the guilty realization that "Anyone whohates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him." (1 John 3:15) which is saying that all sins are sins and there are no "worse sins" in God's eyes. We'll all be at the same judgement seat. Yes, there are some things that will make you want to throw someone in the electric chair, and for good reason. But if they repent of their ways then mercy should be shown and love established, even if it takes a long time.


  • Matthew 22:36-40 "'Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.'"
One of the definitions of love in Merriam Websters is "a personal adoration of God". So that takes care of one of the commandments Jesus mentions. As for the other, it pretty much follows along as the previous verse about giving up one's life for one's friends. Would you try to save yourself from a running car? Do you think your an amazing person? These seem really simple compared to what would seem to be a complex statement, but in truth I don't think the above verse is as complex as we make it. Jesus gave us two simple commandments: to love the Lord with your whole being; and to love your neighbor as much as yourself. Would you cuss and swear at yourself? Would you put yourself down constantly or lie or cheat or steal yourself? Again, it seems almost too simple, but really it is simple. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." (Luke 6:31, also called "The Golden Rule"). And yes, there are people would beat themselves up, mentally and physically. But they aren't loving themselves in the way they should. I won't go off on a tangent on that though.
Link
Moving on to the three types of love. Agape, "a caring love for someone, a love that loves another person as themselves." (taken from this site) *ahem* So this type of love should be applied directly to the above verse.

phileo. " is basically defined as to love, to show signs of love or to denote brotherly love." (taken from this site)

and "eros. Although not found in Scriptures, it was used in classical Greek writings. We get the English word erotic from this word and its use is generally related to sex." (taken from this site)


As I said before, love is not something deserved. We don't deserve to receive love, and sometimes we feel someone else doesn't deserve to receive our love. But God still commands us, as in the above verses, to love. When we love someone we are opening up ourselves to the essence of love. Love is showing affection (according to dictionaries) but it is also giving a part of yourself to someone else, saying to someone "I want to open myself up to you" and then pray that they will receive your love. Yes, you become "vulnerable" to the person you are showing love. By vulnerable I mean you are giving something to someone that they may or may not receive, and thus opening up yourself to rejection. Rejection is one of the hardest things about love...it's something that is unfortunately very possible to happen with mere human flesh. But with God it will never happen. God will always love us unconditionally, and that's how I want to love people, especially those I really care about: unconditionally no matter how much they mess up. Again, mercy collides with love, forgiveness issued forth in a way that is saying, "I love you. No strings attached." There are certain people I will always love like that, like my family and some friends. God has taught me so much about love through self-sacrifice, through every essence of love itself that is defined in the Bible (hopefully I'll post ponderings on each of those). I find that the more I love, the more love I feel. I used to not like opening myself up to people, and oftentimes I find it hard still and will wait till people ask what's wrong or what's on my mind. But slowly I feel that by showing love a wall is coming down and I am beginning to experience love like I never had before. Honestly I can't describe it. All I can say is to try loving. I don't think you'll regret it.


--Becca =) <3


*Little disclaimer: these are all my thoughts and ponderings. I encourage you to look things up yourself and figure out your own thoughts. I'd like to think I'm pretty accurate, but I'm only a human and make mistakes too. So test me ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment